Alice Ruth McClain 1927-2019

Alice Ruth was a longtime friend of mine. My family lived in Hubbard, TX from 1971-1977 when my dad was the minister of the First United Methodist Church. She was my Sunday school teacher for my age group for 3-4 years of that time when I was around 6-10 years old. We moved away from Hubbard in 1977 when my dad got assigned to Wortham, TX. Since that time, Alice Ruth and I wrote letters to keep in touch. Over the years, we continued to write letters. No matter where I was or what I was doing, including through my 20 year career in the U.S. Navy. I could always depend on letters from her keeping me up on how she was doing and what was going on around Hubbard. When on leave from the Navy, visiting my mother in Hillsboro, my mother and I would always go over to Hubbard where I would  get to visit with Bennie Hughes, Alice Ruth and David. It was always good getting to see them, and it usually involved a meal.
Sadly, Alice Ruth passed away from a heart attack on January 19, 2019. 
A very sweet lady, I will miss her letters and her spirit. 

Four "pillars" of my life are now gone, and all within 13 months.
Bennie Hughes, December 2017
Louellyn Duncan, June 2018
John Chandler, July 2018
Alice Ruth McClain, January 2019.

I think of them often and miss them all.

 December 1974 at Sunday school; David, James, Alice Ruth, Shannon, Kathleen, Wilda. 

 December 2004 visiting in Hubbard; Bennie, Louellyn, Alice Ruth, Wilda, David.



Comments

Popular Posts